Saturday 18 July 2015

Attack 2015 - Devizes

I had a very pleasant day out attending the Devizes and District Wargames Group show, Attack 2015. After a long period of not visiting Devizes, I travelled up to the show last year and found it at its new venue, well new to me, as I remember it being held in the Corn Exchange building, and found it as I remembered it, a very nice club show to visit.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/attack-2014-devizes.html

The weather last year was a real "hum-dinger" of a summer storm with thunder, lightning and "stair-rod" rain so it was really nice to travel up with Steve M doing the driving and Tom in balmy sunny weather.

We also met up with other friends from the DWG who had travelled up, and spent a nice afternoon wondering around the stands and checking out the games.


As usual I thought I would take some pictures of stuff that caught my eye and first up is a game I saw last year but didn't take some shots of it, so I thought I would make up for that this time round.

This Wings of War game was staged by the Wings of Glory Aerodrome chaps who I spoke to last year and they really go the extra mile with their collections of aircraft done out in particular squadron/jasta markings together with all the kit to present a very eye-catching game.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/content.php


As the game progressed and the Albatross caught fire, that bundle of flame came attached with LED to give a very impressive flame out.

I also liked the attention to detail with the crashed and burned markers dotted about the play mat to show where past victims had gone down.



I have never got around to build a proper WWII Russian Front collection, but it is a period that I really enjoy playing and, particularly with the giant urban battles that occurred, can present a very unique game to put together.

This Stalingrad game presented by the X-Herford E-Class gamers (I'd love to know where that name comes from) entitled "Operation Hubertus, Red October Factory, Stalingrad 1942 was obviously a labour of love and a very inviting stage set to battle over.




Whilst looking around the stands I took some pictures of the Donnington 15mm Hundred Years Wars figures that I first saw a few years ago now, but always enjoy admiring. For this scale, these are very well done and really do present a feast for the eye.

http://www.ancient-modern.co.uk/12.html

http://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/100-years-war-115-c.asp

Donnington Miniatures 15mm Hundred Years War Range

I have considered 15mm medieval, but I think my eyesight requires me to up-scale to 28mm for any future projects. However you could do a lot worse that these lovely sculpts for this scale.


They also had some very nice larger scale stuff painted up, which gave a very good idea of what they can produce for their paint to order service.



Thanks to Steve for doing the driving and to Tom for helping his Dad find the paints he needed.

Next up 2/96e Ligne

10 comments:

  1. Always a good show, going along tomorrow with two Tony's and a 6X I expect! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy,
      We had a fun day. Have a good time.

      Cheers JJ

      Delete
  2. Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing...amazing clouds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, thank you. Yes the Wings of Glory guys really know how to put on a nice game, and those playing were very into the action.

      Cheers
      JJ

      Delete
  3. Some great looking games there, and thanks for posting JJ. Those 15mm mediaeval in particular look superb.

    Looking forward to the next battalion of the 96th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Lawrence, very nice day out and yes the Donnington figures are a delight.
    Thanks
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to see the show one year! The Red October factory is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, its a very nice friendly club show with a good selection of traders and games.
      I love seeing games where it is obvious that the designer is really into their period and goes the extra mile to create nice looking terrain and figures. Very inspiring.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I like Devizes show. It is a friendly little show, as long as you don't get hit by lightening !

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a contrast, weather wise. However I have always thought lightening, thunder and rain is fantastic wargames weather, being the great indoor sport that it is.

      Delete